When it comes to issues relating to overall health and wellness, Louisiana’s local public health professionals work to provide the solutions, and are very well paid for their efforts.
The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals’ Office of Public Health employs approximately 1,300 public health professionals throughout the state. This public health powerhouse includes esteemed workers from many occupational backgrounds and expertise including, but not limited to: emergency preparedness officials, physicians, engineers, biologists, clinicians, chemists, educators, nurses, and sanitarians.
Here is a short list of online job advertisements for public health occupations posted by the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals in May of 2015. Higher-end salaries are typically reserved for job candidates with solid work histories and high educational attainment, such as a Master’s in public health.
Monthly salary offers are indicative of what public health workers can expect if employed with the state government in Kentucky:
- Disease Intervention Specialist I-III: $2,155-$4,536/mo.
- Medicaid Program Manager: $3,704-$7,793/mo.
- Public Health Laboratory Specialist I-III: $2,569-$5,132/mo.
- Program Monitor: $3,234-$6,807/mo.
- Registered Nurse I-III: $2,749-$5,491/mo.
- Registered Nurse Supervisor: $4,460-$7,199/mo.
Salaries for Public Health Occupations in Louisiana
The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals may be a major employer of public health workers in the state, but it is definitely not the only one. According to job aggregator search sites, local public health employers like the Louisiana Public Health Institute, the American Cancer Society, North Oaks Health Systems, Sanofi Pasteur and Elmwood Medical Center also employ public health professionals.
The Louisiana Workforce Commission has provided an inventory of salary averages for several public health professionals working statewide in 2013:
- Medical and Health Service Managers: $85,550/yr.
- Social and Community Service Managers: $63,790/yr.
- Statisticians: $69,400/yr.
- Health and Safety Engineers: $65,390/yr.
- Epidemiologists: $60,260/yr.
- Microbiologists: $88,190/yr.
- Environmental Scientists and Specialists, Including Health: $57,770/yr.
- Social Scientists and Related Workers: $69,210/yr.
- Social Science Research Assistants: $25,700/yr.
- Biological Scientists: $67,110/yr.
- Community Health Workers: $35,080/yr.
- Health Educators: $50,140/yr.
- Healthcare Social Workers: $48,080/yr.
- Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselors: $37,580/yr.
- Rehabilitation Counselors: $41,080/yr.
- Miscellaneous Community and Social Service Specialists: $35,330/yr.
- Occupational Health and Safety Specialists: $70,040/yr.
A Full Analysis of Public Health Salaries in Louisiana
A more detailed account of public health salaries and wages in Louisiana can be found below. All data comes from occupational survey results evaluated by the United States Department of Labor in 2014: